Hello everyone , today I have been thinking of our family reunions on the Porter homestead
What fun it was seeing a lot of my cousins and their families.
Thinking back when my parents along with my sister Norma we went to pay a visit to Grandpa,
Driving down the beautiful treed drive way leading to Grandpa’s home, lawns well manicured it was something I have never forgot.
Norma and I love to get the water for the house from the windmill, undoing the rope that held the pump still, then letting it go and seeing the windmill start turning and pumping out water into our pail, only thing that was bad was the taste of the water it left a funny taste in your mouth.
The house was always nicely tidy. Big cook stove was the focal point of the large kitchen, that stove cooked many Christmas turkey dinners for eighteen family members that came together each year that grandpa lived.
Grandpa at Christmas gave out Christmas gifts of hat or mitts for the boys but for the girls it was black stockings what a disappointment for us .
One year we got wool hats surprise surprise for us that year.
When I see homesteads on Facebook that people have taken it makes me think of the Porter homestead and the happy time we had .
Monica Doucette
My memories are nearly identical Joyce.
No comments:
Post a Comment